**This is the outline for an upcoming customer service talk Clay Clark is giving in Austin, Texas. Clay is the founder of DJ Connection Tulsa Wedding DJs, the owner of 9 different companies and the U.S. SBA Entrepreneur of the Year.
BIO / CAREER SNAPSHOT:
An award-winning serial entrepreneur who had to overcome poverty in route to achieving tremendous business success, Clay Clark is started his first successful business while still at Freshman at Oral Roberts University. By age 20 he had received national attention when he received the Metro Chamber of Commerce “Young Entrepreneur of the Year” for his “innovative best practice” customer service practices in his numerous businesses ventures.
At the age of 27 he was able to add the United States Small Business Administration “Entrepreneur of the Year” and the U.S. Chamber “National Blue Ribbon Quality Award” to his resume. Today Clay is the owner of 9 different companies and travels the country working as an engaging sales trainer, business coach and a nationally recognized educator for organizations both big and small including such as Farmers Insurance, the United States Government Accountability Office, the Bama Companies, 1st Option Online Mortgage, Valspar Paint, QuikTrip, UPS and many more…ladies and gentlemen let’s hear it for Clay Clark!
Customer Service 101:
The Art of Providing Outstanding Customer Service
(Great customer service is an art)
1. 2 Commitments I’ll Make:
- A. I am making a commitment to teach everyone here at least 1 thing that can make them $50,000 or more during the course of their career.
- B. I am committing to verifying that everyone has at least a “courtesy dance move” available for the next big wedding / party you attend.
2. 3 Commitments I Need You To Make:
- A. Take Notes
- B. Look for the 1 thing that can make you more money over the course of your career.
- C. Explain to me how Michael Bolton became famous.
3. Deep Thoughts To Ponder:
A. When I say the words “Customer Service” what comes to your mind?
B. When I ask you what organizations or businesses you are a “RAVING FAN” of, what are the top 2 businesses come to your mind?
- University of Texas
- Southwest Airlines
- Justin Bieber
C. When I say the words, “CUSTOMER SERVICE SO BAD IT MAKES YOU WANT TO STAPLE YOUR FOREHEAD” what are the top 2 businesses that come to your mind?
A.Cold treatment from staff
B. Long waits
C. The “IGNORANCE IS NO EXC– USE PHRASE SAYING LADY AT THE DMV
D. Delayed return calls by customer service desks
E. The foriegner who goes by the name Bill Smith on the tech support line who can’t seem to get your name right.
F. The kid guy at the drive through window is talks on his cell phone while taking your order.
4. What do the Stats Tell Us About Customer Service?
- According to research studies conducted by the American Express Global Customer Service Barometer and AMDOCS customer relationship software Bad customer service is now normal.
- 60% of Americans believe that businesses don’t care about good customer service.
- More than 75 per cent said they would hang up after waiting on hold for longer than five minutes.
- More than 80 per cent would rather visit the dentist, pay their taxes, or sit in a traffic jam than deal with an unhelpful representative.
- 75 per cent said that they tell friends and family about their negative experiences.
- 85 per cent reported that negative customer service experiences drive them to switch providers.
- 70% of Americans said they are willing to spend up to 15% more for the same products and services if they are provided with excellent customer service.
- 78% of consumers have bailed out on a transaction because of poor customer service.
- 59% of consumers are willing to try a new product or service for the first time just see if the customer service experience is better.
5. Helping You and Your Organization To Get Ahead Through Great Customer Service.
- A. “I believe luck is preparation meeting opportunity. If you hadn’t been prepared when the opportunity came along, you wouldn’t have been ‘lucky.'” — Oprah
- B. “It’s all about the work. Nothing is going to fall into your lap. You’ve got to put your head down and do the work. There are no shortcuts.” – Russell Simmons (leader of Hip Hop Revolution and Founder of Def Jam, Def Comedy Jam and Phat Farm)
- C. “I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson (One of America’s Founding Fathers, principal author of the Declaration of Independence and kind of a BIG DEAL)
4. The 6 Steps To Radically Improving Your Customer Service Experience:
- Step 1: Start Asking the Tough Question? Do you operate more like the DMV or like Apple?
A. Thought: It all starts with your expectations.
B. Supporting Quote: “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.” – Steve Jobs Founder of Apple
C. Group questions:
Have you ever been to the DMV? What is that like?
Have you ever bought an Apple Product? What is that like?
D. Story: Jobs went crazy about their being only one button = touch screen technology, Ipod, Iphone, Ipad
D. What is an action step you begin taking on Monday?
- Step 2: Commit To Excellence
A. Thought: You must commit to providing excellence for your own self-esteem. When you do something good and you satisfy a customer you make yourself feel good.
B. Supporting Quote: “If you do build a great experience, customers tell each other about that. Word of mouth is very powerful.” Jeff Bezos, CEO Amazon.com
C. Group Questions:
Who can we look to for examples of great customer service other than Apple?
Who has ever been to a Chik-Fil-A?
What is it that makes Chik-Fil-A customers so much more loyal than most other fast-food restaurants?
D. Story: Wife at QuikTrip restrooms vs. other restrooms – Wife not pulling over
F. What is an action step you can begin taking on Monday?
Step 3: Take Ownership
- Thought: You must be willing to truly take ownership of the praise and the complaints to ever be truly successful in life.
- Supporting Quote: “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” – Bill Gates
- Group Questions:
Why is it so frustrating to talk with someone who is unwilling to take ownership of complaints?
Why is it so easy to talk with someone who sincerely takes ownership of complaints?
- Story: Passing the Buck In Mortgage Company of 5.
- E. What is the action step you can begin taking on Monday?
Step 4: Learn To Effectively Deal With Customer Complaints
- Thought: Study successful people and do what they do. Use the B.L.A.S.T. system.
- Supporting Quote: “Use the B.L.A.S.T. system.” – Believe, Listen, Answer, Satisfy, Trust
- C. Group questions:
How hard is it to believe some customers?
How hard is it to listen to someone who is yelling at you?
How hard is it to yell at someone who is sincerely listening and not fighting back with you?
- Story: Coffee Talk – Shop that reheated breakfast 3 times without offering a refund and then refused to listen to concerns.
- G. What is the action step you can begin taking on Monday?
Step 5: Celebrate Excellent Customer Service:
- Thought: You must decide that you will celebrate the successes of those around you who wow clients (See Diagram of Workflow)
- Supporting Quote: “Every great business is built on friendship.”
- C. Group Questions:
What does a true friend have the ability to do?
What does it mean to empathize with someone?
- Story: Southwest Airlines – Rapping Flight Attendant Video Clip / Explanation
- What is the action step you can begin taking on Monday?
Step 6: Take Action Now.
A.Thought: Education is only half of the solution, because nothing works unless you do.
B.Supporting Quote: “Knowledge without application is meaningless.” – Thomas Edison
C. Group Questions:
Why does only 7% of the American population typically take action to solve their problems?
What separates truly great people from average people?
Brilliant people have high EQs and high IQs. “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” – Albert Einstein
D. Story: My dorm room decision to market myself and become successful.
- What is the action step you can begin taking on Monday?
- 5. Closing:
- Review 6 Steps
- I challenge you to begin making it your goal to wow every customer because it is the key to creating your own opportunities and your company’s overall health.